Aylan Couchie is an Anishinaabe artist from Nipissing First Nation in Northern Ontario. In 2016, she received her BFA from NSCAD University in Halifax, Nova Scotia. She has been accepted as an MFA Candidate at OCAD University where she will be pursuing her graduate studies with a focus on Indigenous monument and public art. She’s been the recipient of several awards including “2015 Outstanding Student Achievement in Contemporary Sculpture” through the International Sculpture Center and the Inaugural Barbara Laronde Award from the Native Women in the Arts organization. Aylan has exhibited throughout Ontario, Halifax, New Jersey, Ireland and Serbia and in 2018 will see her first large scale public art commission raised 70 feet to permanently overlook the City of Barrie, Ontario.
- Upcoming: The Mush Hole Project, Brantford, ON
- International Sculpture Day Opening, Mana Contemporary, Jersey City, NJ
- 2016 New Art: Aylan Couchie – The Coast (Halifax, NS)
- The Airport Project Installation – “The Current Current”
- Art Installation Winner for Pratt Homes Newest Development “The Gallery Condominiums” (Barrie, ON)
- 1st Inaugural Barbara Laronde Award from Native Women in The Arts (Toronto, ON)
- 21st Annual Outstanding Student Achievement Awards in Contemporary Sculpture Exhibition (Hamilton, NJ)